Clamped Dyeing of Fabric

I tried a different method of dyeing on some small samples. Usually I use the low immersion technique instructed by Ann Johnston and seem to have lots of excess dye when ready for the rinsing stage. With this technique I used ¼ c of water with ¼ tsp. of urea and added ¼ tsp. dye powder. Since I was using small samples of fabric I trifolded lengthwise and then triangle folded as when folding a flag. I clamped two pieces of wood on either side of the fold on two pieces, two quarters on one piece and just the clamp on the final sample. I feared there would be too much white on the wood clamped pieces but was not disappointed with the result. Using just the plain clamp impression was also pleasing to me. The fabric was soaked in soda ash solution for twenty minutes before applying the dye. Dye was applied with a spoon, just dripping it on different parts of the folded cloth and into the separated folds, put in a plastic bag and set for 12 hours. A surprise was how little excess dye was apparent in the first cold water rinse and even in the hot soapy wash compared with other methods.

Now to consider a use for these brightly colored pieces. (I used black, emerald green, dragon fruit, sapphire, and deep yellow.)

Hexagon Flowers

I posted a photo of a display quilt for Hickory Stick Quilt Shop in Hannibal, Missouri yesterday.  Below are the directions and photos of how to make the hexagon flowers from a two inch circle.  They are a simple way to make blossoms.  I have grouped them to make hydrangeas, used alone to simulate cherry blossoms,etc. Limited only by your imagination. Enjoy.

 

 

Step 1. Cut 2 inch circle

 

Step 2. Find center by folding in half and then in half again and press or mark with dot.

 

Step 3. With wrong side up, fold edge to center and press in place

 

Step 4. Fold point up to center, press in place

 

Step 5. Fold point to center and press 4 more times

 

Step 6. Anchor center by hand or machine or with decorative stitching

     

Van Gogh Challenge

It was fun designing, planning and constructing for the 2017 Cherrywood fabric challenge.  The theme was Van Gogh and the colors were three blues and black.  My design was simple but pleasing to me.  They had record entries this year and mine was not among those selected for the traveling exhibit.  I did not expect it to be as it was a simple design and there were many gorgeous, complex entries posted at various sites on the web that I admire for creativity and execution. Still it was fun and makes me smile as I walk into my sewing room each day. I look forward to seeing the exhibit when it comes to a quilt show near me.